Monday, March 9, 2009






"You have to start with whatever you want to start with."
--Alison Cosby

It is Monday, 924pm.  I do not know the date.
This is my first time on a boat...and it has been a wonderful experience so far.
I have been told to list all the things I have done for the first time, so yeah here goes:
--been on a sailboat
--been snorkeling
--seen a lot of fish in the wild
--tasted a gin and tonic/bloody mary/RUM PUNCH
--had grouper
--had conch
--seen a shark in the wildlife
--been on a plane with a propeller
--taken a pill that made me not sea sick
--rocked on a boat
--seen a husband and wife that thoroughly enjoy one another's company while living on a boat
--been in the bahamas
--play bocce ball (and won, by a lot)
--had kalik
--been made fun of by a professional comedian, and more than once
--been woken up by two females (with high pitch voices) from baylor university
--seen gary intoxicated...oh wait
--seen gary dancing...while intoxicated (and alison refusing to participate)
--blogging
--swam like a turtle swims, while swimming above the turtle
--seen a star that is green and then red and then white
...yeah you get the picture, and i have only been aboard for a couple days

This has been one of most unique experiences of my life.  This has been one of the most memorable experiences of my life...and it has only been two days.  I want to officially thank Alison and Gary for providing me with this one in a lifetime experience.  I am sorry to sound so cliche, but seriously, this is awesome.  I also want to thank their (good) son, Will, for asking me to come join him on this expedition.

Here is a brief explanation of my travels so far:

Friday, "Go to the Bahams Day"
--I went to Hampton, Virginia to serve witness to an amazing musical after-party for the Phish (band) reunion.  I was driven to the airport in Richmond at 4am in the morning...without any sleep.

Saturday, "Barefoot and Manny Day"
--I flew with Will to the Bahamas...yeah I flew to the Bahamas, it was awesome.  We got a ride from the airport to the sailboat from a very cheerful lady.   Upon arriving to the sailboat (and the exuberance of Alison/Gary) I had my first real taste of seafood (really, I had never had actual seafood...and I'm going sailing for a week...let's go).  I started eating and then the boat started rocking and then my stomach starting feeling 'different'.  Honestly, doing this blogging thing is hard.  I do not know if it is the alcohol, or if it is the time that flies while I am having fun, or whatever--but expressing the immensity of fun I have been having throughout this weekend is impossible to write about.  But yeah, Saturday night we attended a Barefoot Man concert at Nippers.  For anybody that does not know, Alison LOVES Barefoot Man...but for good reason.  I have heard that he is the Jimmy Buffet of the Bahamas, but seeing him in person, he is so much more.  He introduces all of his songs with a story, joke, punchline, etc.  Then he sings the songs, which make you laugh, dance, bob your head, and have a few more drinks.  Barefoot Man also had several concert 'shoutouts' to Alison and Gary...they saw him on their honeymoon however many years ago...and he made it a point to tell the audience how special of a relationship they still have.  Dinner at the concert was delicious, I was a poor sport and had steak.  A comedian somehow follow the impressive performance of Barefoot Man (who was in fact...you guessed it...barefoot).  The comedians name was Manny.  He was HILARIOUS.  Like many comedians, he engaged the audience by involving the audience in many of his jokes.  I have to say, I was the source of several of his attempts to gain laughter from the audience.  I was made fun for looking young for my age, being freshly shaven, being in the teaching profession, and being in the Bahamas with a friend's parents.  Impromptu fireworks followed the performance, and then a (staggering) walk back to the boat to call it a night.  It was the first time I got to sleep in two days.

(Monday at 1017pm)
"What do you think about life on the boat so far?"  --Will Cosby
"It kicks ass!"  --Me

Sunday, "Gary Dancing Day"
--We began the day with snorkeling!  By the way, snorkeling is awesome, although it can be a little bit tiring.  I got to a see things I had never seen before in my life.  Whether it was the coral, the shape of the rocks at the bottom of the sea, the large amount of wildlife, or my fellow snorkelers, it was awesome.  I know I keep using this word, but as anyone knows, being on this boat in the Bahamas with these people lends one to describe the activities he or she participates in as 'awesome'.  We made our way to a neat spot on the island called Grabbers.  Gary had a drink.  A band from Coco Beach, Florida called Coco Locos was playing there all afternoon-evening-night.  Then, Gary had a drink.  They covered conventional island songs and played several original songs that were perfect for the atmosphere of the place.  And Gary had a drink.  We stayed there for a good portion of the day and came back briefly at night.  Will and I played bocce ball against Alison and Gary...and won, although I do admit, Alison and Gary were quite the formidable duo.  At this point, Gary had a drink.  They forced us into overtime in one of the games.  Then, Gary had a drink.   I saw my future wife at this place as well.  She was wearing a long, colorful, tie-dye dress with ankle bracelets made of shells that jingled every time she walked...and she had long brown hair...she was awesome.  And her friend, another future wife of mine, danced liked the world was going to end tomorrow.  It was a great place, and the Kalik and rum punch flowed freely (Gary).  We had a delicious dinner this night, compliments of Alison and Gary.  It consisted of a chicken piccata, tiny pasta, and broccoli.  We went back to Grabbers that night...and I remember Gary trying to persuade Alison to dance with him, but to no avail.  It was one of the funniest hours of my life.  

It is Monday night, and I will post my adventures from today and the rest of my trip at some point.  It has been a wonderful few days at sea for me.  I have already made some great memories and seen some things that I will never forget.  Alison and Gary are two of the nicest, most accommodating, cheerful, heady, and fun people that I have ever met.  If anyone has the opportunity to come aboard the Taravana (or Motu, the dinghy)...please do so, you will never forget your time doing so.  I can promise you, it will be as memorable an unforgettable as you want it to be.  You are on board with people who LOVE TO ENJOY LIFE...bottom line.

~Todd, second to last mate

No comments:

Post a Comment